My sister was having a hard time finding a bathing suit this summer, so she asked me to make one for her. She basically wanted the coverage of a one-piece bathing suit, with the bathroom-going ease of a two-piece. We settled on high-waisted bottoms and a long line top that would meet in the middle.
For the bottoms, I used the (free) Make Bra hipsterpattern, raised the waist by 6 inches, and used swimwear elastic instead of FOE at the leg openings. At the waist, I simply folded the edge over and topstitched with a twin needle.
For the top, I sewed a Jalie 3247 (View A), lengthened by 5 inches. The arm and neck edges of the top are finished with a thick 1″ FOE and the bottom is topstitched with a twin needle.
The fabric is from a Fabric Fairy flawed pieces bundle, and I just managed to fit the pieces on the “unflawed” parts. The fabric is pretty thick and opaque, but I lined the bottoms and the front of the top anyway.
I really like the look of it! I think the sporty look is balanced by the crazy print. The colors are suuuuuuper vivid in real life. More info up on the blog!